Want to know what goes on in my world? Read on! Disney - Cruising - Airplanes - Cooking - Singing - Movies - Notre Dame Football etc. etc. etc.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A round of applause...

On Sunday night, Applause! Musicals Society held their third annual Ovation Awards at the Vancouver Academy of Music by the Planetarium. It was nice to see so many talented people connected with the muscial theatre community in one place. I actually knew quite a few people there including Fiddler and Flower Drum cast members, people I've watched in shows, and other people I've performed with.

The evening was emceed by my friend Ryan. He did a great job and had people laughing in their seats most of the night. His brand of humour is quite, how you say, "unique" but luckily it's my kind of humour. He did good.

Flower Drum Song didn't win best concert sadly but my friends Jenn and Chris did win for their production of Waking Up a Generation. I was really happy for them both because they their hearts and souls into it. It was well deserved.

Fiddler did very well. It won Best Director, Best Music Director, and tied for Best Musical with Urinetown. Jenn won for best supporting female for her portrayal of the whacked out Fruma Sarah.

There were 26 songs performed (or something like that). It was very cool to hear songs from so many of the musicals from 2006 all in one evening for only $10!! Lots of my friends performed and it was really great to see them on stage again. Tara performed in a number from Anything Goes. Jimmy and Jaclyn performed a song from Flower Drum Song. Jenn performed a number from the Diary of Adam and Eve. Eric sang a song from Waking Up a Generation (my favourite number of the night). Tracy sang in a duet from Urinetown. Amanda, Joel and Ian performed a great number from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. Plus many, many others. Twas a solid night of entertainment.

Vancouver's theatre scene is filled with many wonderful people. There is such a passion for musical theatre here and there are some great, great people raising the bar of excellence with each production. I feel really priveliged to be a part of this performing community and I'm honoured to work and perform with so many talented people. I've developed a lot of great friendships through this little hobby of mine. I only wish I had started doing this a long time ago!

So this week, it's preparing for Very Good Eddie rehearsals which start on Sunday! Better learn those songs. It's coming along...slowly.

Good episodes of 24 and Heroes last night. Although I must admit that I'm getting a little impatient with all of these long series. I want everything to be solved in 30 minutes or less. I guess that's what I get for watching so many Three's Company episodes growing up. If Jack, Janet and Chrissy/Cindy/Terri could figure things out within 30 minutes, why can't CTU?


PS - I ate the reindeer meat on Saturday and it tasted like pepperoni. Actually the "stick" was more beef and pork than reindeer so I was a tad disappointed as I was hoping there would be some antler or fur or sleighbells or something.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kiltman said...

It was great to see you both at the Ovations. (Love the new glasses, Susan)

I am feeling a bit let-down after all that post-production energy and seeing so many old friends.
I found it refreshing to be treated like a fellow perforner and not just a stuffy old Board Member.

Speaking of whacked-out Fruma Sarah, check my blog for a picture of the new Fruma Flyer - a car made from a casket.

10:27 PM

 
Blogger Jenn's Yarn Addiction said...

Whacked out indeed! Tell kiltman that I can READ - grrrr! Twas indeed a fantastic night. Now onto the next show; I'm looking forward to VGE!

11:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home