Want to know what goes on in my world? Read on! Disney - Cruising - Airplanes - Cooking - Singing - Movies - Notre Dame Football etc. etc. etc.

Monday, December 11, 2006

I watched a lot of tv this weekend...

The lack of college football these past couple weeks has forced me to watch other things. When there isn't really anything good on tv, a good bet for me is to flick it to channel 47 to see what they have on. If you're not a regular viewer of TBS, well you really should be. This weekend I watched School of Rock with Jack Black and Mean Girls with Lindsay Lohan. I've watched School of Rock many many times and I laugh each and every time. Jack Black is a funny dude.

I watched Mean Girls for the first time on Friday and it was surprisingly good. Clever writing (script by SNL's Tina Fey) and good acting by Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams.

The beauty of TBS is that they'll replay one movie 5 or six times over the course of a weekend. So you can watch the whole thing or catch bits and pieces of it throughout the weekend. So this weekend, in between naps, I watched these movies three or four times. Susan and I agree, Mean Girls is right up there with another teen classic of ours - Bring It On.

We feel a little stupid watching these kind of movies as we're pretty sure we're no longer the target audience for these movies, but I think every once in a while it's good to give the brain a rest and watch something fairly mindless. However in both these cases, the performances were good and the scripts were entertaining so I guess we don't feel that guilty.

Oh and if you're in the mood for bad made-for-tv Christmas movies, look no further than the W Network. If you don't know what the true meaning of Christmas is, these movies will pretty much shove it down your throat until you do. Movies starring the likes of Vanessa Williams, Mary Tyler Moore, Peter Falk and Seinfeld's own George Costanza.


What else did I watch on the weekend? Oh yeah, I watched this 2 hour documentary on a sperm whale on Discovery Channel. I know what you're thinking but this was a really entertaining doc! I won't bore you with all the details, but here's what I learned about our friend, the sperm whale:

1) they can live to be 80 years old!
2) when diving deep, they can reduce their heart rate to 1 beat per minute!
3) their rib cage is made to collapse when they are in deep water and their organs secrete this mucus to keep them from sticking together when under the immense pressure of the sea!
4) they have big teeth but they don't chew - they let their stomach muscles do all the work!
5) they can dive down 3 kilometers and hold their breath for 2 hours!

And in the, I-Wouldn't-Want-To-Meet-You-In-A-Dark-Alley category, there's a squid even larger than the giant squid. It's called the colossal squid and it has the body the size of a car and swiveling hooks on its tentacles.

Anyway, it was a really good show. Really.

PS - On CBC tonight there's a string of great Christmas shows beginning at 7pm. I think Frosty, the Grinch and Rudolph are on tonight!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda A said...

I love Mean Girls because it totally is true for girls in the high school world and it was just a refresher of how cruel people can be.

9:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home