Want to know what goes on in my world? Read on! Disney - Cruising - Airplanes - Cooking - Singing - Movies - Notre Dame Football etc. etc. etc.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Spiders and raccoons

We went to watch Spider-man 3 over the weekend.

My quick review (WARNING SPOILERS):







Overall I liked the movie, although I don't think it was nearly as good as the first 2 Spider-man flicks. They just tried to cram too much into this one. There were way too many bad guys. Sandman didn't get enough time. The new Goblin got too much time. Venom was an afterthought and was squeezed in purely to please the fans. I don't think they did justice to any of these characters. And by killing off Venom so quickly, they obviously closed the door on any sequel with Venom. Here's hoping for Carnage in Spidey 4, if there is one.

What the heck was up with the Peter Parker corniness? That was just painful to watch. You're telling me that once you reveal Peter Parker's dark side all you get is a dancing fool? Oh man, that was really awful. It's cuteness wore out within 10 seconds. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Jk Simmons as J Jonah Jameson was great again and Bryce Dallas Howard was a refreshing new face as Gwen Stacy. Despite not being a huge new Goblin fan, I did find James Franco's acting to be quite captivating. He really does look like James Dean! Touching death scene. Sad to see him die but glad that story arc has played out. Rosemarry Harris as Aunt May practically steals every scene she's in. As for Kirsten Dunst - sad to say it but she was getting a little bit on my nerves and that's saying a lot from this Bring It On fan. Not her fault - they just didn't really develop her character at all and I think I'm just getting tired of her being the damsel in distress.

Overall I'd give it 7.8/10. Not great but certainly not a bad kick-off to the summer movie season.

END SPOILERS

So after we cleaned the house on Saturday, we saw a large male raccoon wander into our backyard. No big deal - it has happened before. Burt (yes, we named him) climbed up our Norwegian fir and then promptly climbed down a few minutes later and then scampered over our fence and into the neighbour's yard. A few minutes later a female raccoon (named Roxy) came into the yard. She scampered up our birch tree. She probably went up 6 or 7 stories and then found a comfortable, if not highly precarious, place to sleep! It was hard to see the ball of fur but we think she stayed there for a couple of hours. We assume she has left.

Here is my ode to Burt and Roxy:

Oh Burt and Roxy! Why do you visit us so?
No place to sleep? No place to go?
Has someone left garbage for you to dig through?
I'll have to find them and teach them a thing or two.
I know you are cute but you do have rabies
I have a feeling it won't be long, until we see little raccoon babies.
I can't have a zoo in my backyard, I can't!
Raccoons go away! Here ends my short rant.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

SPOILER ALERT. SPIDER-MAN 3 SPOILERS ALL OVER THE PLACE HERE.

Boy, do we differ on our impressions of Spidey III. Overall, it was entertaining, but by Far it was not two thumbs up.

I have never been an Aunt May fan. She creeps me out with her big black eyes.

And I'm not a fan of Franco either. He looks like he tries too hard to look suave or something.

I enjoyed the Sandman. I thought his character was a lot of fun. My beefs, since I like to air them: why did he have to put on a bright green shirt so that the police could spot him a mile away? (Perhaps this shows my ignorance to the character? Is that is signature outfit?) And the lead up to his crazy anger to side with Venom in wanting to kill Spider-Man and create all that angry destruction, only to become all peaceful and boo-hoo forgiveness requesting was not all that great in my books.

Venom. Topher's great. So I liked Venom. Plus he had cool teeth. Interesting comment you had, that he seemed an afterthought. I hadn't thought of it that way. Especially since Venom was in the posters, etc. However, I see what you're saying. My question: (again, perhaps due to my ignorance about these villains and their history and true comic book character creation) how come venom gets Spidey's abilities, plus some extra teeth? He didn't get bitten by a radioactive spider. That is way too bad that he jumped right into that cage. I was sad to see Venom go.

Too much drama in this movie. Unnecessarily cheesy drama. There was lots of laughter in the theatre at all the serious moments, b/c they were just too much.

And yes! What's with the dancing! I must say that in Spidey II I enjoyed the dancing/whistling. I thought it was executed better and was more endearing and there was a better lead in. And he was made likeable.

Here, however, he was NOT likeable and it was forced. Why is it that filmmakers always make the slimy, sleazy guys have the doofus swagger and grin and that annoying lopping hair that flops into their eye?!? Reminds me of Adam Sandler in Little Nicky. Creeps me out to the max.

I actually found Kirsten to be more bearable this time than in the other two. Fancy that! Weird. But was it just me, or was that Zoey Deschanel doing her singing? Didn't seem to fit Kirsten.

All these people I went to the movie with were commenting on how at least the movie had interesting moral issues come up. I wasn't impressed.

Ok. One more question. In the comics, does New Green Goblin really being a good guy in the end?

Hoo! That was fun. Can't wait for Transformers!

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah. One more thing. Could Franco GRIN any bigger when he had the memory lapse? And what's with the omelette flipping scene? Hilarious.

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Ive said...

Sandman does in fact where a green/back striped sweater in the comics.

As for Venom, he is one of the best new villains in the Spidey universe. Sam Raimi, who is more old school, didn't want to have Venom. He was forced to read some of the comics with Venom and he still didn't want to put him
in. The Studio insisted because the fans wanted it so he relented. But you sure can tell it was just put in there. I mean 20 minutes of Venom? He should have been the main villian.

He has Spider powers because the symbiote adopts the powers of the host. But it also enhances the aggression and dark side. Eddie Brock was actually a big muscled dude with a bad attitude. I didn't think Topher was a good casting choice at all. It would have been easy to get a larger dude to
play Eddie since the part was so small anyway - didn't really need someone with a lot of acting ability.

Yeah, bad comb overs are NOT cool...

11:57 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:02 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah... ok. Very interesting. Thanks for the scoop.

What was marketing like in BC? Over here, there were posters on all the subway platforms and bus stops, etc. Big "NYC" Spidey activities going on the week prior to opening. Oddly, I hadn't seen many trailers on TV. That might just have been me not watching ads at the right time. I JUST caught a trailer on tv right now. It showed all the good parts with Venom. It was ALL about Venom and Spidey. I hear you. Interesting how he got such a small role in the movie.

I hear you on wanting the casting to be truer to the comic... but I kind of like that Topher is not some big hulkingly larger guy than Toby. Would seem too "easy" for him to be stronger than Spidey... then again maybe not.

I was more disappointed in the swinging to the extremes. Eddie was so obnoxious at the beginning when whats-her-face almost died. Then we're supposed to believe his spirit is crushed later? And the crying at the end with the quivery lips... ok, so that wasn't Eddie. But still. Too much.

I take back my remarks about the striped green shirt.

I understand what you're saying about the symbiote, but does that mean it's cumulative? Too bad Spidey didn't get someone else's cool powers.

7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home